From the last two days at Kolkata. This has actually turned out to be one of the better trips to the city. Got both the scheduled tasks done and, managed to sneak in some unscheduled work too (the home loan part pre-payment). And, all this in spite of the protests and rallies at the Metro Channel and what not.
Here are some notes in random order. Yet again.
- Used cash to pay for all transactions but one. And, ended up with a clearer picture of spending patterns when in the city. Of course, being a single traveler does help since the need to carry around large sums of cash diminishes. I should try this again as much as possible.
- I am still recovering from the shock of getting a phone line installed, phone instrument delivered and, a phone number generated all within a span of 7 days. And, the promise of a 2 day turn around in data link connection. And, a 1 day turn around for a 3G SIM.
- Taxis have this annoying habit of standing around 10 metres ahead or, behind a designated taxi stand. The designated taxi stand has a forlon looking taxi queue coordinator either chewing tobacco or, listlessly smoking a bidi.
- I’ve taken cab rides in cabs with the most funky upholstery. Including one that had a lady in a huge cocktail glass. Seriously. No pictures though. The cabbie was upset when I took one and had to mollify him by showing that I indeed deleted it.
- The approach to the EM Bypass / Kalikapur via the Jadavpur PS can also double up as an obstacle course for cars during rush hours. Car sized cracks in the road on both sides of the approach.
- The number of government and quasi government vehicles which ferry folks for a fare around the EM Bypass is staggering. I wonder why nothing is ever done about this thing.
- The sight of a bus load of shawl clad folks getting off opposite the DLF building and then scurrying across the road in the smog to go to their workplaces is a sight by itself.
- The globe on the Technopolis building needs some patch-up. It looks like it is going to fall off the perch in no time.
- 45+ lac for a 3BHK at New Town seems to be the flavor of the month billboard. A Hiland Project of some sort.
- Lots of buildings on the Rajarhat-NewTown connector use ‘Nook’ (as in Foo Nook) in the name of the complex or, building.
- NSCBI (aka Dum Dum) hopefully would be more spruced up once the construction is complete. For now it is the most ill managed, chaotic, un-organized airport.
- I don’t know why folks become such boors at airports when they have an e-ticket. Got queue jumped by 3 Blackberry wielding folks (all in suits and totally unapologetic when their behavior was pointed out. One of them seemed to be some sort of a fat cat at a Tata Group company) and, a family of 10 (actually a single person jumped the queue and fished out a ticket and that caravan of trolleys) with possibly 50 pieces of luggage all of which they wanted to carry on board.
- Same queue jumping when the flight was called. And, guess what ? The same Tata chap did it again. Shameless !
- Indigo did not have the fruit cake. I am planning to lodge a complaint now.
- The flight was a bit choppy and I have a nice little headache which may flame up into something of a serious one. I hope it doesn’t.