With my phone hardware refresh cycle coming up I am looking out for an Android device.
Currently I am using an e71 and while it has been an excellent handset – rugged (it has survived falls from around three and a half feet on to concrete and emerged without a scratch, has fallen with the screen hitting the floor and didn’t even blink and once it has dropped from my pocket on to gravel and bounced about a bit), good battery life (although I’ve read about folks talking about the battery life it hasn’t caused my much grief) and, nicely balanced it is beginning to be a bit long in the tooth. That and the atrocity that is the Ovi app store convinces me to not have a Symbian device.
The predominant use of the handset has been in:
- checking email (both corp and Gmail)
- synchronizing calendars (both corp and personal)
- browsing (mainly using Opera Mobile)
- IM (Mundu IM provides me enough to get online and they responded to the issue I had – big yay ! there)
- shell login (putty works nicely)
- social networking (primarily Gravity and sometimes Snaptu)
- miscellaneous stuff (viz. Skype, Podcasts, Internet Radio, bit of photography and some bookmarking)
So, while I need to keep the above in mind, I am kind of looking forward to moving to a touch-screen based experience rather than menu based one. And, I need a better set of apps (and perhaps a better App Store).
Which brings us to the meat of this post – what are the Android devices that are coming up in the next 4 months which I should be looking forward to ? And, they should be Android 2.2 based (not the 2.1 or, lesser upgrade to 2.2 path for me). Of course once I’ve decided on a device the next step would be to figure whether there is an RSA soft token available for it. The lack of it could be the reason to choose another path.